Reasons for completing a Self Assessment Tax Return

Do you need to complete a Self Assessment Tax Return?  The list below sets out the main reasons why you would need to fill in a Tax Return.

The current Tax Year is 6th April 2011 to 5th April 2012. 

Self Employment

You were Self-employed for any part of the tax year. 

Partner in a business Partnership

You were a partner in a business partnership for any part of the tax year.

Company Director

You were a company director (unless this was a non-profit organisation and you did not recieve payments or benefits).

Savings & Investment income (Taxed at source)

You received £10,000 or more income in the tax year.

Untaxed Income

You received £2,500 or more income in the tax year.

Income from property

You received income from property during the tax year of £10,000 or more (before deducting allowable expenses) or £2,500 or more (after deducting allowable expenses).

Foreign income that is liable to UK tax

You rweceived any foreign income that's liable to UK tax.

Employment and wish to claim expenses or professional subscriptions

You were employed as a director and you have expenses or professional subscriptions of £2,500 or more to claim.

Total income

You received income from all sources in the tax year of £100,000 or more.


If your circumstances change during the year you must inform HM Revenue & Customs straightaway.  If you give incorrect or imcomplete information you may have to pay a penalty. 

If you need to complete a Self Assessment Tax Return, you need to register for Self Assessment and get a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR).  The easiest way to do this is to phone the Self Assessment Helpline on 0845 900 0444, or you can complete form SA1.  If you need help completing your Return contact us today!

  • Date posted:
  • Share:

View all articles

Arcus has provided us with excellent service and sound advice regarding all our tax affairs

Mr P from Milton Keynes

knowledgeable & able to explain the options available to me in a language I could understand

Nigel, Corby Glen

His thoughtful, friendly and professional approach is excellent

Gareth, Oakham

© 2020 Arcus Taxation Accountants is the trading name of Arcus Associates Ltd. Registered in England & Wales Company No. 05065405.

privacy / cookies

website cms powered by csb internet

01572 770552